16 August 2011

Ronaldo The Phenomenon - Who Know Him Best?

Full Name : Luiz Nazario de Lima, Ronaldo

Birthday : 22nd September 1976

Place of Birth : Bento Ribeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Position : Striker

1. AAD DE MOS

Aad De Mos was in charge of PSV Eindhoven when under his recommendation, they signed Ronaldo following the 1994 World Cup.

"We saw three good players when we scouted Ronaldo in Brazil - the other two were Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos - but the club didn't want to take the risk of signing all three, so they chose Ronaldo, the best of three in my opinion".

2. BOBBY ROBSON

The late legendary Robson brought Ronaldo to Barcelona from PSV in 1996 for around £12m.

"He was only 19 but I told Barcelona we must have him, that we would be buying not only a wonderful player, but a player for the future. He was rare, different and exhilarating."

3. LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI

The"Big Phil" revealed among the main factor Brazil won the fifth World Cup was getting the best out of his star striker, who had just returned from two career threatening knee injuries.

"In 2002 everyone said that he was an average player because he wasn't well. I said it wasn't true, that he could overcome anything and they just laughed at me".

4. GIANLUIGI BUFFON

"I have played with and against a great number of super - champions, but I have no doubts in appointing the best: Ronaldo. He was a creature from another planet. I met him during his top moment, when he played with Inter. At that time he was able to do things impossible for other human beings. Incomparable!".

5. MICHEL SALGADO

"He might not have been the same player when he joined Madrid but you could still see why he was so special. I have never seen anyone finish like him. One on one, he was unstoppable. He got so many goals and I can't remember him missing a single chance. Ronaldo used to say to us "Don't worry, I'll get you two goals". And then he would go and get two goals".

No comments: