07 July 2009

Cristiano Ronaldo Unveiled at the Bernabeu



Cristiano Ronaldo was greeted by a huge crowd of adoring fans as he was officially unveiled as a Real Madrid player on Monday evening.

The former Manchester United player, who moved to the Bernabeu in a world record £80m deal, said that it was a "childhood dream" to sign for the Spanish giants.

It is thought 80,000 fans flocked to the club's stadium for the event - the largest such gathering since Diego Maradona attracted 75,000 when signing for Napoli from Barcelona in 1984.

"I am just so happy to be here,'' he told the supporters inside the ground. "For me, I have made my childhood dream a reality, which was nothing less than playing for Real Madrid.

"I didn't expect a jam-packed stadium - this is truly impressive.

''Speaking at a press conference after his presentation, Ronaldo again said that Real are "the closest club to my heart'' - but admitted it was a wrench to leave England.

"Thank you to all (Manchester United) supporters, the boss (Sir Alex Ferguson), friends and team-mates - I've been there six years and have friends there. But people respect my decision,'' he said.

"The great challenge now, and dream, is to play at Real Madrid but I'm going to miss many things in Manchester.''

No comments: